We will post where and when trailwork will be on the HPT website here: Trail Work: What's Next
Try to arrive a little before the posted time that trailwork will begin.
When you get there:
Crew Leader Briefing:
- Make sure you have signed a waiver! (You only need to sign once each calendar year.)
- Check in with a crew leader to get your name on the volunteer roster.
- Apply bug spray if needed.
- Socialize and get caught up with others.
The Crew Leaders will have a short meeting to let you know...
After the Crew Leader meeting, we'll hand out tools and the group(s) will head out on the trail to the work area.
- Who will be leading the crew(s).
- What we will be working on for the day.
- Where we will be working.
- We will also have a short safety briefing, answer any questions & introduce any new volunteers.
At the work area:
The crew leaders will typically not be working on the trail. They are there to make sure that everyone is working safely, the trail is being built correctly, to answer questions, and teach how/why we build the trail the way we do.
- The crew leader(s) will do a short class/demonstration on the task at hand.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, or make suggestions that could make the work easier or more efficient.
- Start building trail!
Back where we started:
- NOTE: If you need to leave early be sure to let the Crew Leader know.
- Make sure you have all the tools you carried out to the work area.
- The Crew Leader will do a "head count" and may go over lessons learned during the day.
- Head back in as a group from the trails.
Everyone is encouraged to stick around and socialize! You worked hard, now it's time to relax with your fellow trail builders!
- We will have a volunteer raffle once everyone has arrived back at the meeting place.
- We also usually have some cold beverages and maybe some snacks afterward.