Written by Mike Charron
Sunday, 25 March 2012 09:37
Welcome to HPT 2012!
Mother Nature has really been in our favor so far this year! The following items should give all our trail building volunteers some a info about the start of the trail building season.
Enough for now ... Time to go ride !!!
- A definite start date for our first trail building night has not yet been determined. My brain is still trying to catch up with the fact that the trails are open. I'm still thinking about skiing ....
- Trail work nights will be on
THURSDAY NIGHTS in 2012. I think DanL called them Durty Thursdays! Check back as we will post when trail work starts.
- The tool trailer has been moved up to the end of the HPT Parking Lot. If someone wants to blow off the trails, have at it!
- There are a couple of trees down on the trails (imagine that) so keep your eyes looking up the trail so you don't get splinters in your forehead!
- WE NEED CREW LEADERS !! If you have been thru the Trail Master Cert Class, now is the time to give back. Please ... We expect a great group of volunteers again this year with larger numbers and need folks to manage this positive energy each week. If you are a volunteer who wants to step up to the next level - even if you can't attend the DNR Trail Master Cert Class - please make your self known to me or one of the other trail leaders. We can use your assistance and you have the skills needed to help out.
- A couple of training opportunites:
- Chainsaw Training: SATURDAY, APRIL 28TH starting at 8:00 am at the Town of Shelby Fire Dept building on Ward Ave. The classroom portion is in the morning with lunch provided. We move up toHPT for the afternoon field work. Should be done by 4:00 pm. Please dress for the weather and bring any appropriate safety equipment you may have. HPT equipment will be available also. Remember - anyone who operates a chainsaw for an HPT activity needs to have this training. If you are just starting out, fantastic. This class will give you the basics under a watchful eye ... If you have experience -- even better! You will learn a great deal to makeyou a much better chainsaw operator.There are only 15 students per class so please contact me if you want to attend. We have 5students on board to date. Contact me @
- DNR Trail Master Certification Class: Tuesday, May 15th thru Friday, May 18th from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. This is a big committment of time for volunteers. We have a number of HPT volunteers who have gained this training. This is one big reason the HPT trails are respected across the trail building spectrum. There is room in the class for 15 students. There are 11 signed up to date. There is no cost to HPT representatives in the class. Please contact me for further information: